Please check back frequently for newly posted and updated jobs from our WVHTA members.
West Virginia Tourism Office
The West Virginia Tourism Office is seeking a Social Media Coordinator to work with the Marketing & Public Relations team. The Social Media Coordinator will be responsible for aligning the Tourism Office’s organic social media strategy with paid mediums and web content.
Sample duties include:
- Oversee the organic social media strategy across all Tourism Office social accounts
- Daily posting and engagement with user-generated content on social media channels
- Responsible for actively monitoring the success of each post and making timely adjustments based on performance
- Ability to critically analyze post performance and compile metrics to help drive future content and engagement across social channels and WVtourism.com
- Plan and executive creative social media campaigns designed to accomplish specific goals, examples include National Plan for Vacation Day, West Virginia’s Birthday, etc.
- Assistance with the social-specific components of the Tourism Office’s cooperative advertising program, including paid partner ads and added value posts
- Responsible for the overall strategy behind blog content on WVtourism.com, most importantly, how that content can be transformed into actionable social posts
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in social media marketing and demonstrate strong writing and organizational skills. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in advertising, public relations, journalism, marketing, communications, or a related field is required.
The position will report to the Director of Marketing & Public Relations. The job is located at the capitol in Charleston and works full-time, regular business hours. Competitive pay and benefits. Some travel required.
Please email a cover letter, resume and sample one-week social media content plan for the West Virginia Tourism Office to Kara Gillenwater, Assistant to the Commissioner– Kara.M.Gillenwater@wv.gov. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.
West Virginia Tourism Office
The West Virginia Tourism Office is seeking an Economic Development Manager to recruit, nurture, assist, and promote tourism development projects around the state. This position will report directly to the Tourism Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner and work in coordination with the West Virginia Development Office.
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing tourism businesses
- Work with businesses to prepare Tourism Development Act sales tax credit applications
- Make site visits to tourism businesses to assist with business growth and retention
- Identify gaps in the industry and recruit businesses or events as appropriate
- Gaining an intimate knowledge of all state assistance programs available to businesses including but not limited to site selection, workforce development, tax credits and incentives, and infrastructure development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to evaluate projects, create action items, and execute plans for tangible outcomes
- Ability to take ownership over projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently
- Organized, detail oriented and excellent time management skills
- Flexible with changing priorities
- Demonstrated interest in the hospitality/tourism industry
- Ability to travel regularly around the state during work hours and occasionally on longer trips for conferences and seminars
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficient in in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
The position is based at the state capitol in Charleston and requires travel throughout the state as well as occasional out-of-state travel. A bachelor’s is required, and professional experience in a relevant position is preferred.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Kara M. Gillenwater, Administrative Assistant, at Kara.M.Gillenwater@wv.gov. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.
West Virginia Tourism Office
The West Virginia Tourism Office seeks a Research Analyst to support its marketing and industry development efforts.
This position will be responsible for monitoring, tracking, and reporting key performance metrics, including but not limited to the following:
- Hotel occupancy
- Vacation rental occupancy
- Annual economic impact of state tourism industry
- Travel and Tourism employment data
- Overnight visitor surveys
- Image and advertising effectiveness surveys
- Performance of specific industries, i.e. whitewater rafting, ski
- Regional, national, and international travel trends
- State park visitation
- Other key performance indicators as identified
The successful candidate will also be expected to identify additional metrics, devise methods of tracking those metrics, and synthesize and contextualize them in reports.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Experience in market research or research/data analysis in a relevant industry desired
- Proficient in data processing, analysis and reporting strongly preferred. This includes building and maintaining databases, graphing data, creating slides and narrative documents that clearly communicate the insights and marketing recommendations.
- Experience and/or interest in learning new data tools and software.
- Proficient in in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills. Able to translate findings into digestible, insightful key findings for top-line reports and verbal explanations for ad hoc assignments.
- Ability to take ownership over projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently.
- Organized, detail oriented and excellent time management skills.
- Flexible with changing priorities.
- Demonstrated interest in the hospitality/tourism industry.
- Ability to travel on occasion to local training or seminars.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in market research and analysis as well as database management experience. A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required, and a master’s degree is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with direct experience in the travel and tourism industry.
This position will report to the Director of Partner Program and work closely with the Visitor Services team, Marketing and Public Relations team, and Executive Team. The job is located at the State Capitol in Charleston and works full-time, regular business hours. Competitive pay and benefits. Some travel required.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Christina.A.Fowler@wv.gov. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.