Please check back frequently for newly posted and updated jobs from our WVHTA members.
Charleston, West Virginia Convention & Visitors Bureau
President & CEO Position Description
The Chief Executive Officer’s job is to lead a small but dynamic team of tourism professionals to achieve the optimum return on investment through marketing and sales strategies that adhere to the highest industry and ethical standards. Ideal candidate should:
- Have a proven track record in tourism marketing and sales
- Be respected as an influential and strategic thinker
- Have a reputation for successful cutting-edge tourism marketing and sales programs
- Be a motivator with a contagious and inspirational attitude
- Have a proven record of inspiring partner participation across tourism sectors and geographic lines
- Is a community leader respected by both tourism and non-tourism industry partners
- A bachelor’s degree or higher with major case work in journalism, business administration, marketing and/or communications
- A minimum of 7 years experience at the executive level within the tourism industry
- Experience working with boards and/or multiple stakeholder groups, including local elected officials
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of use of hotel occupancy tax is preferred
- Knowledge of tourism sales, marketing and techniques is preferred
- Knowledge of overall community attractions, hotels and venues is preferred
- Knowledge of procedures for scheduling trade shows, meetings and events is preferred
Essential Job Functions
- Leads the development of an annual sales and marketing plan including yearlong supervision of its deployment
- Establishes and maintains ongoing effective communication with state and local government leaders, local tourism partners, business leaders, travel trade professionals, convention and event planners, and with regional and national industry leaders
- Represents the organization at appropriate local, state, regional and national industry meetings, conferences and events
- Oversees all administrative, operating and programming functions of the organization
- Directs the CCVB’s daily operations and manages all aspects of staff selection, training, direction, evaluation and terminations. In addition, the Chief Executive Officer is responsible for providing the staff with a safe, secure and comfortable environment as well as the resources, information and tools to perform their jobs
- Provides support and leadership to the board of directors, giving directors the tools and information they need to make wise decisions about the organization
- Strategically develops an internal budget based upon staff input to be presented to the finance committee and board of directors for approval.
- Develops and maintains effective organizational policies and procedures and internal controls to ensure all activities are implemented within established policies, guidelines, laws and ethical standards
- Accountable for building and leading a high-performance sales team to implement and monitor key metrics to ensure sales team goals are met
- Creates an environment of accountability and transparency
- Fosters an environment of innovation, identifies opportunities, and introduces creative new ideas and strategies to the board, staff and community
- Works with area tourism partners, business leaders and organizations to build support for the CCVB and its programs, specifically:
- Works collaboratively and in close coordination with the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center General Manager in planning, marketing, and scheduling events including conferences, conventions, trade shows, sports and others. Meets on a regular basis with General Manager and fosters intra-staff relationships and coordination between CCVB and CCCC
- Further develops strong alliances and relationships with national, regional and state travel and tourism associations as well as with other CVBs. Looks for innovative ways to partner with these organizations and take advantage of opportunities to meet the goals of the CCVB
- Works to establish and maintain strong communications with local businesses and community organizations throughout the City of Charleston and the surrounding area with a goal of heightening involvement in the programs and activities of the CCVB and to increase the ROI for as many segments of our local economy as possible
- Works closely with area hoteliers and others in the local hospitality industry to coordinate and align the services needed to provide excellent customer service in order to attract events, bring them to our area and to retain them in the future
- Maintains strong lines of communication between city, county and state elected officials and keeps them regularly updated on the work of the CCVB and seeks opportunities to partner and coordinate with governmental entities
- Serves as a catalyst to identify and build community resources that enhance the area's viability and competitiveness to attract leisure, meeting and convention business
- Monitors proposed legislation that will affect the tourism industry, the Charleston area and the CCVB
Applicants should forward cover letter and resumes to email@example.com. This job post will remain open until Nov. 21, 2019.
West Virginia Tourism Office
The West Virginia Tourism Office is seeking an experienced event production manager to oversee and execute promotional event logistics and operations.
- Driving mobile event vehicle, Ford F250 pickup with attached 32’ Airstream, to every event
- Maintaining vehicle in clean, working order, including interior installations, and coordinating with vendors and suppliers as appropriate
- Supervising & assisting with footprint set-up and break-down
- Maintaining inventory of event properties and materials, including set up, breakdown, storage, and maintenance
- Adhering to all project requirements and deadlines
- Reporting all updates, changes and information to Tourism Office management and coordinating with agency partners
- Exerting and maintaining professional behavior in the field, motivating and encouraging your team and positively representing WVTO, its partners and the state at all events
- Ensuring a clean, well-maintained event footprint at all times
- Assisting with WVTO’s Call Center and Fulfillment Center
- Traveling to Welcome Centers to pick up and/or deliver inventory during non-event periods
- Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to answer tourist calls to 1-800-CALL-WVA, helping with fulfillment activities, handling mail runs, and making deliveries to state welcome centers
- One year event production experience
- Must be able to lift and carry at least 50 pounds.
- Proficient at driving tow vehicles and backing up trailers on foreign terrain and tight spaces
- Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain clean driving record
- Outgoing, friendly, able to represent the brand and state in a positive manner
- Natural problem solver, skilled at working with basic hand tools
- Flexible with changing priorities and event needs
- Available for in- and out-of-state travel for up to 10 days at a time
- Ability to travel frequently, especially during heavy event seasons.
This position is based at the capitol in Charleston and works full-time hours. Competitive pay and benefits. Travel expenses, including lodging, fuel, and per diem expenses, are paid directly or reimbursed by the Tourism Office.
Please email a resume to Kara Gillenwater, Administrative Assistant, at Kara.M.Gillenwater@wv.gov. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.
West Virginia Tourism Office
The West Virginia Tourism Office is seeking an Economic Development Manager to recruit, nurture, assist, and promote tourism development projects around the state. This position will report directly to the Tourism Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner and work in coordination with the West Virginia Development Office.
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing tourism businesses
- Work with businesses to prepare Tourism Development Act sales tax credit applications
- Make site visits to tourism businesses to assist with business growth and retention
- Identify gaps in the industry and recruit businesses or events as appropriate
- Gaining an intimate knowledge of all state assistance programs available to businesses including but not limited to site selection, workforce development, tax credits and incentives, and infrastructure development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to evaluate projects, create action items, and execute plans for tangible outcomes
- Ability to take ownership over projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently
- Organized, detail oriented and excellent time management skills
- Flexible with changing priorities
- Demonstrated interest in the hospitality/tourism industry
- Ability to travel regularly around the state during work hours and occasionally on longer trips for conferences and seminars
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficient in in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
The position is based at the state capitol in Charleston and requires travel throughout the state as well as occasional out-of-state travel. A bachelor’s is required, and professional experience in a relevant position is preferred.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Kara M. Gillenwater, Administrative Assistant, at Kara.M.Gillenwater@wv.gov. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.
West Virginia Tourism Office
The West Virginia Tourism Office seeks a Research Analyst to support its marketing and industry development efforts.
This position will be responsible for monitoring, tracking, and reporting key performance metrics, including but not limited to the following:
- Hotel occupancy
- Vacation rental occupancy
- Annual economic impact of state tourism industry
- Travel and Tourism employment data
- Overnight visitor surveys
- Image and advertising effectiveness surveys
- Performance of specific industries, i.e. whitewater rafting, ski
- Regional, national, and international travel trends
- State park visitation
- Other key performance indicators as identified
The successful candidate will also be expected to identify additional metrics, devise methods of tracking those metrics, and synthesize and contextualize them in reports.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Experience in market research or research/data analysis in a relevant industry desired
- Proficient in data processing, analysis and reporting strongly preferred. This includes building and maintaining databases, graphing data, creating slides and narrative documents that clearly communicate the insights and marketing recommendations.
- Experience and/or interest in learning new data tools and software.
- Proficient in in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills. Able to translate findings into digestible, insightful key findings for top-line reports and verbal explanations for ad hoc assignments.
- Ability to take ownership over projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently.
- Organized, detail oriented and excellent time management skills.
- Flexible with changing priorities.
- Demonstrated interest in the hospitality/tourism industry.
- Ability to travel on occasion to local training or seminars.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in market research and analysis as well as database management experience. A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required, and a master’s degree is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with direct experience in the travel and tourism industry.
This position will report to the Director of Partner Program and work closely with the Visitor Services team, Marketing and Public Relations team, and Executive Team. The job is located at the State Capitol in Charleston and works full-time, regular business hours. Competitive pay and benefits. Some travel required.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Christina.A.Fowler@wv.gov. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.